Flagship Digital to Analogue Converter
Digital music now comes from a multitude of sources, but the digital to analogue converters in most PCs, MACs, Laptops or TVs are often an afterthought. Bypass the same audio through the 851D’s twin premium DACs in dual differential mode and its 2nd generation Adaptive Time Filtering process and it’ll bring every drop of detail and depth back into your music so it can be heard exactly as it should sound.
Sound PurityWe built the 851D using all of our hi-fi experience and the highest grade of components throughout to ensure it delivers the best sound in its class. You can connect up virtually any source and then let the 851D bring it to life. All data is put through our 2nd generation Adaptive Time Filtering that upsamples everything to 24bit/384kHz hi-res quality, no matter the original source. As a result, jitter is almost completely absent, and your music sounds amazing. Read more on our proprietary ATF upsampling technology here.
The upsampled music then passes through Twin Analog Devices DACs (very high-end digital to analogue converters) which are implemented in a dual differential configuration meaning each channel has its own DAC to process data. The result is lifelike stereo imaging where instruments can be heard in specific parts of your room with uncanny accuracy.
All of these audiophile internals are powered by a large toroidal transformer for the best delivery of a high quality and consistent signal, low noise and buzz levels, and huge power reserves.
ConnectivityWe’ve built the 851D to connect with as many digital sources as possible. There are digital TOSLINK, S/PDIF, BNC and AES/EBU inputs, while if you add a BT100 Bluetooth dongle you can pair with compatible devices for wireless Bluetooth streaming. For your PC there’s an asynchronous USB audio input with a dedicated driver, allowing you to bypass the PC’s poor audio path. All inputs are upsampled to 24-bit/384kHz meaning you can connect up a world of digital source components including TVs, media streamers, smartphone docks and computers, and enjoy it all in amazing hi-res quality.
DIGITAL PRE-AMPLIFIERWith premium XLR and RCA outputs you can then connect the 851D to the perfectly compatible 851A integrated amplifier with other sources. The 851D also has a digital volume stage built in so it can be used as a pure pre-amplifier – just connect it straight into our 851W power amplifier or a pair of active speakers for further sonic benefits.
DIGITAL FILTERSWe built the 851D with three selectable filters, linear, minimum and steep, this allows you to choose the type of sound that suits your ideal listening preferences.
Technology explainer videos
- DACDual Analog Devices AD1955 24-bit DACs
- UpsamplingAnalog Devices Black Fin ADSP-BF532 32-bit DSP performing 2nd Generation ATF2 upsampling to 24-bit/384kHz. Linear phase, minimum phase or steep modes.
- Digital inputsS/PDIF, TosLink optical, BNC, AES/EBU, BT100 Bluetooth
- USB audio inputUSB Type B conforming to Audio profile 1.0 or USB Audio profile 2.0 (user selectable) 1.0 or USB Audio profile 2.0 (user selectable)
- Analogue audio outputsBalanced XLR and unbalanced RCA analogue audio outputs. 1 ¼" / 6.35mm headphone output (supports 600 Ohm headphones, however 300 Ohms max recommended)
- Sample rates supportedUSB Audio 1.0 16-24 bit, 32-96kHz USB Audio 2.0 16-24 bit, 32-192kHz,TosLink 16-24 bit, 32-96kHz S/PDIF 16-24 bit, 32-192kHz BNC 16-24 bit, 32-192kHz AES/EBU 16-24 bit, 32-192kHz BT100 Bluetooth receiver: A2DP plus aptX
- Maximum power consumption40W
- ColourBlack or silver
- Dimensions (HxWxD)115 x 430 x 360mm (4.5 x 16.9 x 14.7”)
- Weight7.5kg (16.5lbs)